Remembering those
who served.








Application Fees for License to Carry or Firearms Identification Cards

Effective immediately, chapter 140, sections 122, 122B, 129B, 131, 131A, 131F and 131H have been amended to change the fee schedule for Massachusetts firearms licenses. The $100.00 fee collected from the licenses are generally allocated for $50.00 for the Commonwealth, $25.00 for the licensing authority, and $25.00 for the Firearms Fingerprint Identity Verification Trust Fund. Note that there is still no fee for applicants over 70 years of age. The license fees are now as follows:

  • Dealers License (including Gunsmiths): $100.00
  • License to Sell Ammunition: $100.00
  • Firearms Identification Card: $100.00
  • Firearms Identification Card - Restricted (Chemical Propellant Only): $25.00.
    (No charge for renewal applications for “Restricted” FID Cards)
  • License to Carry Firearms: $100.00
    (Includes license to possess machine guns)
  • License to Carry Firearms for Law Enforcement Officials or Local, State, or Federal Government Entities Acting on Their Behalf: $ 25.00
  • Permits to Purchase: $100.00
  • Non-Resident and Non-Resident Alien: $100.00
  • Resident Alien: $100.00

Detective John Grillo  -  Licensing Officer

Call By Appointment Only 508-378-7223

Gun Laws

M.G.L. ch. 140, 121-131P regulate weapons possession and licensing in the Commonwealth. Choose one of the categories below link to link to the relevant M.G.L.

License to Carry Firearms


Resident Class A


Possession Information for Residents

Resident License to Carry (LTC) Firearms

To lawfully possess a handgun, you must have a valid LTC. To read requirements and restrictions, see M.G.L. c. 140, 131. The application process is now completely computerized and must be made by appointment.  Contact your local police department for additional information.

Resident Firearms Identification (FID) Cards

To lawfully possess a rifle, shotgun, ammunition, or chemical propellant spray, you must possess a valid FID card. To read requirements and restrictions, see M.G.L. c. 140, 129B. Application process is completed electronically. Contact your local police department for additional information.

Resident Aliens

Persons who are not citizens of the United States, and are residents of Massachusetts may not possess large capacity rifles, shotguns, handguns or non-large capacity handguns. These persons may only possess non-large capacity rifles, shotguns, ammunition, and chemical propellant spray. (M.G.L. c. 140 131F, and 131H). For information on how to apply for an alien license to possess a rifle or shotgun, contact the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) at (617) 660-4780.

Non-Residents Carrying Firearms with in the Commonwealth
Non-Resident Aliens

The FRB may issue a Class A temporary license to carry firearms, or feeding devices, or ammunition. These licenses may be issued only to aliens who are not Massachusetts residents, for such purposes as firearms competitions, and may be subject to other terms and conditions (M.G.L. c. 140 131F). Please call the FRB at (617) 660-4780 for more information.

Non-Residents Carrying Firearms within the Commonwealth

A United States citizen who is not a resident of the Commonwealth may possess rifles, shotguns, and firearms if certain situations apply. Please refer to the following items for additional information:

If the situations described in the law do not apply, the non-resident citizen must apply for a temporary non-resident LTC. Please call the FRB at (617) 660-4780 for more information.





Large Capacity




Law Enforcement Facts

There are approximately 700,000 sworn law enforcement officers now serving the United States.

Each year there are approximately 38 million crimes committed in the United States, an average of one crime every two seconds.

Crime fighting has taken its toll. Since the first recorded police death in 1794, there have been more than 14,000 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.

A total of 1,613 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the last ten years, an average of one death every 54 hours or 161 per year. There were 116 police deaths in 1996, the lowest since 1959.

On average, more than 65,000 law enforcement officers are assaulted each year and some 23,000 are injured annually.

The deadliest year in law enforcement history was 1974 when 268 officers were killed. The deadliest decade was the 1970's when a total of 2,182 officers died, or 218 each year. That figure has dropped dramatically in the 1990's to 150 per year.

More officers have been killed in January (1,355) and December (1,329) than during any other months of the year.

During the last 10 years, more officers were killed on Fridays than any other day of the week. The fewest number of fatalities occurred on Sundays.

to top


Frequently Asked Questions

Licensing | Address Change | Purchasing and Selling | Safety Locks | Transporting Firearms | Restraining Orders



  1. Is a license required to possess an air gun (i.e. bb or pellet guns, so-called air rifles or air pistols, paint ball guns) or ammunition therefore (i.e. bb's, pellets, CO2 cartridges, paint balls)?

    A:  An FID Card is not required to possess an air gun in Massachusetts. Air guns are regulated by M.G.L. c. 269, 12B which limits their use by minors who are not accompanied by an adult, holding a sporting or hunting license, or holding a permit from the chief of police. Massachusetts law also prohibits anyone from discharging air rifles from across streets, alleys, public ways or railroads or railway right of ways. It should also be noted that an FID Card or an LTC are not required to purchase an air gun or ammunition. As such, the state FA10 form should not be used to record the sale of such air guns.
    top of the page


  2. Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

    A:  M.G.L. c. 140, 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.
    top of the page


  3. Do I need an FID Card or an LTC Firearms to possess a gun in my home?

    A:  Yes. At a minimum you need an FID Card for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. For handguns you need either an LTC,, or an FID Card combined with a Permit to Purchase firearms for the particular handgun in question.
    top of the page


  4. Should a valid holder of an LTC renew their FID Card based upon notification from the Criminal History Systems Board that the FID card is about to expire?

    A:  Not necessarily. An individual with an LTC is not required to maintain an FID Card also, although an individual may hold both. An LTC permits the holder to possess any weapon which would be allowed with an FID Card, as well as additional weapons depending on the Class of License.
    top of the page


  5. Where do I apply for a License to Carry (LTC) or a Firearms Identification (FID) Card?

    A:  Generally, application is made to the local police department where the applicant resides or has a place of business. For more specific information on FIDs refer to M.G.L. c. 140, 129B, or for LTCs refer to 131(d).
    top of the page


Address Change


  1. I am changing my address. Who do I notify?

    A:  Under M.G.L. c. 140, 129B(10), and 131(l), a holder of an FID Card or an LTC must notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued the Card or License, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the Card or License holder moves, and the Executive Director of the CHSB. The notice must be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.
    top of the page


Purchasing and Selling


  1. How many guns a year can a person sell without being a dealer?

    A:  Under M.G.L. c. 140, 128A, a properly licensed resident who is not a dealer may sell up to four guns in any one calendar year through a private transfer of ownership.
    top of the page


  2. Should a special form be used when selling guns through a private sale?

    A:  The state form required for private sales is an FA10 Form. The FA10 replaced what was known as the "Blue Card" previously used for private sales. This is essentially the same form used by dealers except that instructions are included with each private sale form. This form can be obtained from any police department. The seller must fill out the form and forward it to the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) within seven days of the transaction.
    top of the page


  3. Do weapons purchased by Massachusetts residents while in another state have to be reported in Massachusetts?

    A:  M.G.L. c. 140, 128B, residents who purchase from someone other than a Massachusetts dealer, either within or outside the Commonwealth, must report the purchase within seven days to the FRB. The electronic E FA10 form.  Transfer of firearm ownership must and can only be completed via electronic filing. E FA10 forms can be located online at the Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal

    top of the page


  4. Can a Massachusetts resident sell a gun without being a licensed dealer?

    A:  Yes. Under M.G.L. c. 140, 128A, a Massachusetts resident may sell a gun provided that he lawfully possesses it with an appropriate FID Card or LTC, or is otherwise exempt, and that the person buying the gun is also properly licensed with the appropriate FID Card or LTC (depending on the type of gun being bought).
    top of the page


Safety Locks


  1. Should all weapons sold within the Commonwealth be equipped with a safety lock?

    A:  M.G.L. c. 140, 131K states that all sales of firearms and large capacity weapons in Massachusetts MUST include a safety device approved by the colonel of state police. This requirement applies to any seller including a wholesaler. The seller is not required to install the device so long as the weapon is accompanied by it. Failure to comply with this provision will constitute a breach of warranty and an unfair trade practice. This section does not apply to non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.
    top of the page


  2. If an individual buys a handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun from a dealer, can he supply his own trigger lock to avoid paying for a new one from the dealer?

    A:  No. M.G.L. c. 140, 131K states that a state approved safety device must be sold with the weapon. This places the burden on the dealer to provide the safety device and does not allow the dealer an option of letting the purchaser provide a trigger lock.
    top of the page


  3. Are state-approved trigger locks required any time a trigger lock is used?

    A:  No. State-approved trigger locks are only required under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, 131K which applies to dealers who provide them with handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns that they sell. State-approved trigger locks are not required in any other section of chapter 140. However, most common trigger locks that would be used to help the gun owner comply with section 131L are likely to be state approved even though that approval is not required
    top of the page


Transporting Firearms


  1. How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

    A:  A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

    A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

    For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, 131C.
    top of the page


  2. Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?

    A:  No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.
    top of the page


  3. Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?

    A:  If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, 131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered "stored or kept" in compliance with the safe storage requirements of 131L.

    A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).
    top of the page


Restraining Orders


  1. Can an individual who is the subject of a restraining order, seek to have the judge remove the surrender portion of the restraining order with regards to weapons permits so that he/she can possess a weapon?

    A:  Previously, the surrender order could be lifted by the judge, pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A, 3C, and guns and permits could be returned even though the restraining order remained in effect. Under recent changes in M.G.L. c. 140, 129B and 131, the suspension and surrender of a defendant's FID Card or LTC must continue as long as the underlying restraining order is in effect.
    top of the page




2011 East Bridgewater Police Department





East Bridgewater Police Department

153 Central Street
PO Box 475
East Bridgewater,
MA 02333

Business 508-378-7223

Fax 508-378-7225

Detective Division

Emergencies Dial  911